Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Weekend

We started Mother's Day weekend off with bang and traveled to Richmond to run in the Race for a Cure with Mimi and Papa. We have done this for the past several years but this was Kendall's first time running it. Yes, this year was much harder on several different levels ...1) we had a double jogging stroller (from a friend) that was mighty heavy, 2) this was the very first time we had run with the double stroller and the brake kept falling down, 3) we had run no more than 4x since I found out I was pregnant with Kendall...like I said, it was a difficult race on so many different levels. But we survived, much slower and in more "old age" pain than usual, but better for it. I am so glad this race is on mother's day weekend, not only because it's a race that raises money to support an incredible organization, but also because it's a race to support my mother. My mother is a breast cancer survivor. I still get choked up as I watch my dad hug my mom before the race and I still run with tears in my eyes that final hill towards the finish line and think of the battle my mom went through to be alive today. It's an emotional run for me. It's a run I make each year to honor my mom and thank her for showing me how to be a woman of God even when the absolute worst is thrown at you. I can't think of a better way to start off Mother's Day weekend than to honor my mom.

here's the family before the race
the girls

the whole gang - our good friends, Tom and LeeAnn Rasey, joined us again this year to support mom and LeeAnn just had a baby (Garrett) 8 days before!

Mom and baby Garrett after the race - showing his support for mimi with an adorable shirt:) It says Mimi's walker - too cute!

I got to spend mother's day with my wonderful friends and family. We spent the morning at church and with the Rasey's and then mom, dad and John came in to town for dinner at granny's house. Who could ask for a better day. The weather was beautiful (slightly cool) and the company was great! Now if only Kendall had decided to sleep...

sleep or no sleep, this thing is cute:)

the mother's on mother's day...LeeAnn and Garrett, and me and my baby girl (minus the child who was kind enough to take a nap)

sweetness all bundled up in my puff-a-lump:)

yes, she has found her tongue and thinks everyone needs to check it out

my big girl after her nap

4 generations (would have been 5, but Kendall FINALLY decided to nap...it was short lived though and totally not picture worthy...grumpy!)
I had a wonderful mother's day and am thankful for the mother's who raised Andy and me as well as the mother's who raised them. May I be as good of a mother to my brood as they were to us! I love you and am thankful for you, mom, Granny and Sally! Happy Mother's Day!

4 comments:

The Michna's said...

Happy Mother's Day! Sounds like you had a jam-packed but fun weekend with your family!!

Jenny Staniak said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Katie said...

Happy Mother's Day!! We did a race for ovarian cancer this weekend. I didn't run though - just walked! I'm so impressed LeeAnn ran..!

Bunch of Barrons said...

Awesome weekend. I'm super impressed with Leeann, too! :) Great pictures of all of you!