Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hospital Stay

This is the first time I have ever spent time in a hospital for anyone other than myself. I will tell you, I don't like it one bit! Kendall was admitted to the Pediatric unit on Monday for monitoring. Basically her jaundice was causing some other concerns and they wanted to test and monitor her for a 24 hour period. Kendall took this all MUCH better than I did. Granted, she hated (and I mean HATED) getting her blood drawn MULTIPLE times during her stay, then the failed attempts (plural!) at an IV, but she was a champ at sun bathing under the bellirubin lights! She loved the warmth of the lights and just stretched all 19inches of her out and basked in the blue lights. She did not cry once the whole 24 hours she was under those lights. The nurses were very impressed:) I told Andy that I think we need to move somewhere where it's warm year round - of course it wouldn't be hard to sell that idea to Andy;) All in all we came out much better than when we entered the hospital...now, I hope that's our last visit to SCH for a long time!! I contemplated taking a picture of her sunbathing, but she had tubes all over her, a mask on and the blue lights made her look green...so I passed on the photo op!

After being released from the hospital, all I could think about was sleeping in my own bed, being with the rest of my family and possibly getting a little more rest...oh, that so did not happen! Everything was wonderful all the way up until halfway through Kendall's midnight feeding. Alley woke up throwing up...oh the joys! Now, as most of you know, I don't throw up and never have, so I am really not good with it. Andy on the other hand was wonderful last night! I don't know what I would have done with out him. I felt helpless in the situation so I stuck to cleaning the bathroom up and doing the wash. Andy basically took care of Alley all night and even "slept" on the bedroom floor with her. He did all this so I could focus on Kendall and feeding her. He truly is a wonderful daddy and husband!! Everyone seems to have survived, we're tired, but we survived the night..and Kendall got the best sleep of us all;)

6 comments:

Jessica said...

It's been a rough couple of days, huh?! I am so glad Kendall is doing better and I hope Alley is all better too. Going from one kid to two is a whole different world, isn't it? Whew! You and Andy are doing a great job - proud of you!!!

Katie said...

You've had quite a few misfortunes of late! I hope the family is doing okay now!

On another note - you have NEVER thrown up?? Chris hasn't either.. you guys should compete for who can go the longest in life :)

A.K. said...

oh my goodness, what a rough couple of days! hopefully the next few will be a little easier. glad kendall is doing well again!

Jenny said...

Oh man! Glad everyone is better. Throw up is the worst! Glad Kendall is home!

Bunch of Barrons said...

Glad everything is ok...Merrick had the same problem with jaundice. They wouldn't let us go home for a week after he was born because his levels were so bad. The heel pricking every day was SO sad! Glad you're home!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl....sorry yall have had it so rough. You and Andy have always been a good team...hope u all can have a better week soon....i can't believe u have never thrown up!