Monday, June 27, 2011

New Dresses

I am ashamed to say I've been working on these dresses for weeks now...okay, let's be honest here, I think it's actually been months. I am still learning all the wonderful things my sewing machine can do (and let me tell you, it has some really wonderful things it can do!!), so it's taken some trial and error on my part to see which stitches are best for what project. Let's take shirring for example....yeah, big learning curve...but I got it (after I realized that the elastic thread only went on the bobbin...so I had just wasted a month or so fighting with the machine and the elastic thread!)! Let's just say if I had read all the instructions correctly on-line about shirring, these dresses would have been done long ago...oh well:) Anyway, they are now complete and ready to wear:) I made this without a pattern and only looked at some other dresses that were made like this, so I think it turned out pretty well. I already know of some things I'd do differently the next time I make these dresses.

Aren't they perfect for summer! My two "ecstatic" models...;)

Oh Kendall just looks too excited...
poor thing had a rough night last night with her teeth so just excuse her pout

Wait a minute! That was my seat...

Next project...3 smocked dresses. Currently I'm fighting with my pleater (isn't this becoming a theme here with my sewing projects???!!), so I think these dresses might take a little bit longer than expected. Let's just hope I'm done with them before Fall is over;)

2 comments:

Jenny said...

The girls are so cute! My sister's and I are supposed to try makind skirts like these... one was too small so it turned into a dress just like those! Great work!

A.K. said...

so cute! i don't know how you do it without a pattern- you amaze me, I can't deviate one inch from any of my patterns :)