Thursday, March 3, 2011

Projects

Recently I've started sewing again. I learned how to sew, smock, knit, cook, etc. years ago from my wonderful Grandmother, but I never found time to keep up with it. Not that I have a lot of free time, but for some reason I have been really wanting to sew again. 

Back around Christmas, I embarked on the smocking journey. Granny and I worked on matching Christmas dresses for the girls (ok, lets be honest, Granny did most of the work, but I contributed a good amount!) that turned out so cute. We are now about to begin Easter dresses for the girls, and I am even going to make the dresses, as well as try to do most of the smocking myself (it's a pattern with butterflies on it...why do I always pick the hard stuff!?). I will keep you updated on how that all turns out;)

A week ago I found some adorable material while I was in Richmond, plus a fun pattern, and it inspired me to make the girls a dress. I thought it was neat because it was a reversible dress...it can't be hard right?? Okay, it didn't get hard until I decided to stray from the pattern and add some embellishments to the dresses myself...ha, not a good idea to do on the first dress you make all by yourself after years of being away from the sewing machine! All in all I think they turned out very well (just don't look too close please!). I already have new ideas for the next time I use this pattern...oh I can't wait to go to Richmond and buy more material!!!

Alley sporting her new dress 
(Disclaimer: IGNORE the wild hair! Yes, I brushed it and even wet it down...).

Kendall getting in on the action. Doesn't she look excited;)

Kendall got tired of getting her glamor shot and decided the toys were more interesting...notice who is excited to finally have the rocking chair;)

Watch out for more of my projects!! I found a slew of fun patterns for the girls and myself!!

2 comments:

A.K. said...

Great Job!!! Now I just need to figure out a way to get back to the East coast so we can be closer and learn to sew/smock together :)

Katie said...

I have never heard of "smocking" until tonight. Great job on your crafts!