Saturday, April 2, 2011

Our crazy life...

I think those three words sum up what has been going on in our family this past week. I sit here at the computer trying to put my thoughts into words while I let my daughter brush my hair for the day. Yes, I didn't brush it and am letting her do it. I also spilled my drink a few minutes ago and she told me I needed to clean it up and not bring drinks into the living room because that's what happens when you do....I think I might have even let her pick out my outfit today, I'm not telling though! Oh yes, this just sums up our life at the moment.
Let me paint the picture for you...imagine being confined to a small room (say an 8x8 or less) for three days and nights with an active really sick 1 year old and nurses coming in and out every 2 hours...sleep?? What is that??!
The craziness all started when Kendall entered her third week of having a double ear infection. None of the medications worked so the poor girl had many rough nights of little to no sleep ( you know what that means too, we had little to no sleep as well). Finally, after going to an ENT and setting up a date for surgery, we thought we'd be in the clear. Whew, things must be looking up right?! It can't get any worse then this...famous last words....Wednesday we called the pediatrician with an issue of possible dehydration and that Kendall's hands were turning blue and purple. She told us to go straight to the ER because that needed to be checked out. In my mind I thought that if it was dehydration, she'd get an IV and we'd be able to go home by evening. Besides, she was acting so happy, friendly and very active...NOTHING could be wrong. Ha! That is when we found out she had pneumonia, RSV, another double ear infection and was dehydrated. So off to the pediatric unit we went. We were released Friday with GAZILLIONS of meds in the hopes that something would help her get over all this crumminess. The funny thing about this whole adventure is that Kendall was amazing. She had the IV put in her thumb-sucking hand (for real, who would do that?!!!) but after she got over being ticked off about that, she happily played, sang, and charmed the socks off the nurses and doctors. The nurses dubbed her the "happy weezer". They say they get two kinds of kids...those lethargic, cranky, not-so-seriously-sick kids....then you get the happy, playful, charming seriously sick kids who they say are happy weezers...that was Kendall all right:) I took several pictures of Kendall while in the hospital, but I can't post them because I don't have a fancy phone that does anything like that;) So, just imagine Kendall in a hospital gown with a huge paddle on her hand  hiding her IV needles, hanging out in the hospital crib jumping up and down and saying bye-bye to anyone who walks in and out of the room. She was a pill;) I am just glad we are home and hope all the meds work so we don't have to go back...whew! That is why our life is crazy...we have entered the recovery stage now.
Oh, Alley is now reading the prayer book...I think she knows we need some help and direction;)

3 comments:

A.K. said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS... you poor thing! Hang in there momma and get some rest!!! Let Alley spoil you by brushing your hair- we don't need baby number 3 wanting to make an early appearance!

Katie said...

Haha, don't worry - sounds like Alley's got a handle of controlling the family right now. Just sleep and let her take care of it :) Let us know if you need anything.

Hope Kendall is feeling better!

The Richmond Alleys said...

Hmmmm ... who does this McPherson Family CEO take after? :)